Friday, September 16, 2011

Are You Going the Wrong Way Again?

"Are you going the wrong way again?"  My wife asked me this question on a trip home from my parents' home a couple weeks ago.  First, it is odd that I had headed the wrong way earlier in the day when we went to my parents' house.  Of all the places in the world, one can usually find their way to their own home and to their parents' home.  But because I wasn't thinking, I had taken a turn that would lead me to a lot of other places where we normally travel.  Now on the way home I was asked, "are you going the wrong way again?"  I answered with these accurate but cryptic words, "No, I'm just not going the right way!" 

I wasn't lost.  I had been driving in one lane.  I had to quickly move over a couple of lanes when the road divided.  Hence, I was not going the wrong way because I had been traveling the right way up to this point and because I changed lanes in time.  But before the sudden lane change, I was no longer in a position to go the right way.  Maybe I should look into a career as a lawyer as a side job.

The song that way playing in our CD player while I was not going the right way is a song called, "You Are the Way."  It was written by Pat Sczebel and recorded by Sovereign Grace on their Worship God Live CD.  This song paraphrases John 14:6- "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."  When it comes to what really matters you don't want to go the wrong way.  You don't even want not to go the right way.  What we all really need is to get to God His way- and that is through Jesus.  When it comes to your eternity, don't make excuses and don't try to talk your way into heaven.  Just follow God's way- which means following Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Please, Don't get me started on my wife! Nevertheless, you bring up a good point.

    All my life I have endeavored to do the very Best that I can, only to "go the wrong way" in the end. More specifically, I would mess something up that would normally be easy for me "IF", I had not been "PREOCCUPIED!"

    Think back now to the moment when you made your mistake. And ask yourself; "What was I "really" thinking about"?

    In all likelihood, it was something you shouldn't have been thinking about. Like maybe something you had done so that regret was filling your mind. Or maybe something someone else had done, so that bitterness was feeding upon your heart.

    In Any case, and Every case. I have found that the best thing for me to think about is, "What am I thinking about?" Is it the task at hand? Or something other?

    ~ NFL Coach

    ReplyDelete